How to Delete Windows.old Folder, Force Remove Old Windows. Can’t Remove Windows.old Folder in Windows 10 Delete your previous version of Windows
What is the Windows.old folder?
The Windows old folder, when you have a new installation on Windows and upgraded the operating system, for example: You have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, as a result of this upgrade, Windows does not delete your old files, it will keep them in a folder named C: /Windows.old for a month. Deletes spontaneously at the end of a month. Likewise, if you install windows directly without formatting the partition you will install, your old files are stored in the Windows.old folder.
Method 1: Delete Windows.old Folder with Disk Cleanup
- You can also delete the Windows old folder with Windows’ own disk cleaning tool. To do so, type “Disk Cleanup” in Start > Search. In the results, click Run Disk Cleanup as Administrator.
- Disk Cleanup: Select disk (C:) on the Drive Selection screen and click “OK” button.
- Then click on the “Clean up system files” button. In the next window, check the “Previous Windows installation(s)” option and click the “OK” button.
This will delete the Windows old folder.
Method 2: Remove Windows.old Folder with Command Prompt (CMD)
- First type “cmd” in the Start menu.
- Find “Command Prompt” in the results. Select “Run as administrator” from the options next to it.
- Enter the following code in the “Command Prompt” window and then press “ENTER”:
RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old